Saturday, April 24, 2010

My new 2nd favorite pizza of all time

I admit it. I'm the one who orders the ham and pineapple pizza. You see it on just about every pizza menu and think "who in the hell eats pineapple on their pizza?" It's me. I can't help it; I love it! It's the perfect food! A perfect combination in every food group (if you still believe that tomatoes are a vegetable, which they are.)

I recently came across another combination that I think will give my fruit/meat pizza a run for its money. And I wish I could take credit for it. But I found it in one of my cooking magazines.

Chicken Cordon Bleu Pizza

The name alone makes me wish I had come up with this one. And fellow moms with kids who live on chicken nuggets and cheese, when you see what goes into this you'll be loving it too.

  • Take one premade pizza crust from the grocery store. (Sorry, this is not the post when I regale you with my foray into homemade pizza dough. But that will be coming soon.)
  • One jar of Alfredo sauce. I used Classico Alfredo with Garlic because that's what I like. But you can use any Alfredo sauce. You only need a couple of tablespoons.
  • Grated Swiss cheese. Grate it yourself if you really feel up to it. Otherwise, just by a bag of pre-shredded Swiss cheese.
  • 1 bag of chicken nuggets. You only need about 12 for the recipe but if you have children, I'm sure you will find a use for the rest of the bag. And look, don't buy the really pricey ones, made with whole white meat chicken and whatnot. Buy the cheapest bag you can find. The ones made with the parts of the chicken that most chickens don't have. The ones that Jamie Oliver hates.
  • A couple of piece of ham. Now, I'm not sure how to instruct you about the ham. Grated this would be a great recipe to use after Easter, when you're looking at 15 pounds of ham leftovers in your refrigerator. I would have done that too when I tested the recipe. But for other reasons, I didn't make a real ham for Easter. Much to my shame I bought a preformed ham loaf-like thing from Walmart and used some of that. You'll need about 3 thin slices of ham.

Take your pizza crust and place it on a pizza stone or cookie sheet (whatever you have). Spoon on a few tablespoons of Alfredo sauce. I would go easy on the sauce. Remember that it will thin as it cooks and you don't want all of the toppings sliding off because of a pool of sauce. Swirl around the sauce of the crust within an inch or so of the edge of the crust.

Take your ham slices and cut them into bitesized pieces. Sprinkle around the area of the crust with the sauce.

Take your 12 chicken nuggets and cut each of them into 1/4ths. If you're using the cheap ones like a told you (The ones that look like they came from a McDonald's drivethru), then they should be about bitesized pieces as well. You don't have to thaw the chicken nuggets beforehand. Sprinkles around pizza.

Top with about a cup or so of shredded Swiss cheese.

Bake in a 400 degree oven until golden and bubbly. It should take about 15-20 minutes.

Cut and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment